There are millions of New Years posts out there, the only difference in this one is that it is my first one ever and it is unique to me. I wanted to do this because I thought it was important to sit down for a few hours and really reflect on my last year, and also really think about what it is I want to accomplish this year. In the past, I would just sort of reach into the air and pull up some “resolutions” that I would plan to do, but of course – fail to do them. I think many of us do the same.
So, here it is. A review of some milestones, realizations, and intentions for 2013.
- New York (Rochester, NY / Niagra Falls / Philadelphia, PA)
- South Dakota (Badlands NP / Mt. Rushmore / Black Hills NF)
- Wisconsin (Some B&B in a million dollar home)
- Made Lucas Kay Photography official.
- Shot last wedding and closed down the wedding blog.
- Began doing much more video work
- Men’s Fraternity (a men’s group that meets every wednesday morning to discuss man stuff)
- Canon Professional Services gold member
- Realtors Association of Southern Minnesota – affiliate member
- iPhone 4S and iPhone 5
- Canon 7D
- iPad 2
- Bought a house
- Made some great friends
- Learned a lot about myself
Books I read:
- Good To Great
- The Art of Non Conformity
- Searching For God Knows What
- Through Painted Deserts
- The 4 Hour Workweek
- The $100 Startup
- One Up On Wall Street
- The Power of Habit
- What EveryBODY Is Saying
- Doctrine: What Christian’s Should Believe
- FREE: The Future of Radical Price
- The Call of The Wild
- Talk And Grow Rich
- Made To Stick
- The Referral Engine
- God’s Voice in the Stars
- Wheat Belly
Things I learned about myself:
- I am very cynical. This is unhealthy for myself and whoever has to hear it. I need to discover the root of this problem and do my best to tackle it.
- I need to be more in tune with the needs of others, instead of assuming I already know their needs and that they are being met.
- I am selfish, and I think I am more important than I really am. I think most people are this way, but it really hit me this year how bad this is.
- I know very little about anything beyond technology and art. If the electricity went out forever, I would be able to get us by for a few weeks.
- While my beliefs and opinions are more based on what I have studied and learned on my own, I am heavily influenced by the ideologies of others.
- I am incredibly opinionated and I want people to believe and think as I believe and think. I am learning to let go of this and be more accepting.
- I am losing my ability to hold conversations with people. I believe spending too much time on social media is contributing to this.
Skills I Sharpened or Developed:
- Better understanding of photography fundamentals (light, composition, exposure, etc)
- Video production
Things I would like to accomplish in 2013:
- Learn basic survival skills (growing food, tying knots, building stuff, marksmanship, preparing game, etc.) Not because I am paranoid – but because I know none of these things, and I think that is unwise.
- Read more books
- Tackle at least SOME of the things I learned about myself in 2012.
- Double my photography and videography income.
- Document life BETTER. Stop aimlessly taking photos and posting, but document intentionally.
- Drop my weight to 190 or better. Currently at 220. I am going to work to heavily reduce my wheat intake. Become more healthy.
- Strengthen my relationships (God, Wife, Family, Friends, Work, etc.)
- Reduce my social media intake to 25% of what it is now.
- Schedule my day to day better.
- Become better at thinking before I speak or act.
That is all for now. I may update this as time goes on.